One Sunday afternoon in January, February and March the quiz teams come together for a time of practice quizzing. Other than some opening remarks and snacks there are no other activities on these Sunday afternoons. On Saturday, April 18, we have a full day of quizzing that also includes games, lunch, singing and a challenge from God’s Word.
|January 19, 2020||Bible Baptist – New Bloomfield||2:00-4:00||James 1 & 2|
|February 23, 2020||Calvary Independent – Quarryville||2:00-4:00||James 3 & 4|
|March 22, 2020||North Hills Bible – York||2:00-4:00||James 1 – 5|
|April 18, 2020||Faith Bible – Mount Joy||10:30 – 6:00||James 1 – 5|
1. Quizzing shall be on the King James Version.
2. Each quiz shall consist of 10 questions.
3. After a quizzer has correctly answer three questions (excluding bonus questions), he/she has “quizzed out” and is eliminated from jumping. The quizzer may be substituted or remain in the quiz to answer bonus questions.
4. After a quizzer makes three errors “Errored out,” he/she is eliminated from answering any future questions (including bonus or sudden victory questions) for that quiz. The quizzer may be substituted.
5. The study material rotation shall be as follows
A. 2015 – Galatians
B. 2016 – Ephesians
C. 2017 – Philippians & III John
D. 2018 – I & II John
E. 2019 – James
F. 2020 – I Peter
1. Each team shall have a minimum of three members.
2. One or more substitutes may also be part of the team.
3. All quizzers shall be in the 7th through the 12th grade during the quizzing year.
4. A quizzer may quiz one additional year after he/she has graduated from high school if he/she meets all of the following three criteria:
A. They are not older than 18 years old at the time of the final quizzing and rally.
B. They have not already quizzed six years in the SHCM quiz program.
C. They have not already quizzed on the scheduled book for that year.
1. During the “practice” quizzing, coaches are responsible to turn in a seating to the scorekeeper immediately before each quiz.
2. For the final rally, coaches are responsible to submit a seating assignment to the quizmaster five days before the rally.
3. If on rally day, a coach wishes to change his starting quizzers for a particular quiz, he/she must submit that information in writing to the scorekeeper prior to the start of the quiz.
1. A quizzer does not need to wait for the completion of the question to jump.
2. A quizzer must jump off the chair and proceed toward full stature.
3. A quizzer’s hands may not touch the chair when jumping.
4. A quizzer’s feet may not touch the chair when jumping.
5. If a quizzer’s feet are outside the legs of the chair, they may not be behind the front legs of the chair.
1. A quizzer must satisfactorily complete the question before giving the answer.
2. The quizmaster may allow a quizzer to “go ahead” even if the finishing of the question is not precise.
3. A quizzer may give the answer only after getting the “go ahead” from the quizmaster.
4. A quizzer has only 30 seconds from the time he/she is identified to both complete the question and to give the answer. If a quizzer is actively answering a question the quizmaster may give additional time to finish answering a question or quoting a verse.
5. Answers should be precise and close to the KJ text.
6. Names of God must be exact.
1. After each jump a quizmaster should say “please complete the question” or “go ahead” to allow them to proceed with the answer.
2. The quizmaster will not rule any answer correct until the quizzer is seated, or the 30 seconds have elapsed.
3. If no quizzers jump within ten seconds of the quizmaster’s reading of the question, the quizmaster may proceed to the next question.
1. Twenty points will be awarded for each correct answer.
2. Ten points will be awarded for each bonus question answered.
3. Five points will be deducted for each foul incurred.
4. After the second team error, ten points will be deducted for each error made on the initial jump (excluding sudden victory).
5. Ten points will be deducted for an error on the 10th questions even if the team does not have two errors.
6. No points will be deducted for an error during the sudden victory questions.
1. In the event of a tie score after the 10th question, one or more sudden victory questions will be given to determine the winner.
2. A quizzer that has quizzed out may return for the sudden victory questions.
3. A quizzer that has errored out may not return for the sudden victory questions.
1. A quizzer can respectfully and politely “challenge” a ruling made by the quizmaster.
2. The challenge must be made only by the quizzer answering the question without any assistance from any other quizzer or coach.
3. The “challenge” must be made after the completion of the ruling of that question. The quizmaster’s ruling is final and cannot be changed after the beginning of the next question.
1. Each team may have one 30 second time-out per quiz.
2. No time-outs may be called after the 9th question.
3. Time-outs are not needed to substitute a quizzer that has quizzed out or errored out.
1. The quizmaster, judges, or scorekeeper may call a foul anytime during the regular quiz and the sudden victory question(s).
2. A foul will be called for any violation of the jumping rules
3. A foul shall be called if there is any behavior by the quizzers, substitutes, coaches or the audience that shows poor Christian testimony.
4. A foul shall be called if there is any talking among the quizzers, substitutes, coaches or the audience from the time the quizmaster calls “question” until he makes a ruling on the bonus question.
5. The audience shall be given one warning before deducting points for a foul.
6. A foul shall be called if a light accidentally comes on after the quizmaster calls “question” but before the first word of the question is given.
7. If a foul occurs after the question has been started, the foul will be called after a ruling on the question is completed.
1. A quizzer may be substituted without a time out.
2. A quizzer must not quiz in different seats during a quiz unless they are replacing a quizzer that has quizzed our or errored out.
1. Quizzers dress should be modest and appropriate.
2. Fellows should wear neat shirts with a collar. Shirts should be tucked in and worn with dress slacks. Hair should be neat and short.
3. Ladies’ skirts should cover the knees when sitting. Slits should not expose the knee when sitting.
For a printable PDF of the rules click here.
Q#1 What should be done of a ready mind?
A Feed the flock (5:2)
Q#2 What do ye do, Whom having not seen?
A Love Him (1:8)
Q#3 What three ways should our adorning not be?
A Outward adorning of plaiting the hair, – wearing of gold- putting on of apparel (3:3)
Q#4 (Quote word perfect question) Quote I Peter 2:20.
A For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye
shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for
it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
Q#5 (Reference question) According to I Peter 4:9, what should be
done one to another?
A Use hospitality (4:9)
Q#6 Two-part answer. What things should ye not render?
A Evil for Evil – Railing for Railing (3:9)
Q#7 When will the Gentiles glorify God?
A Day of visitation (2:12)
Q#8 (Two part answer) What was testified beforehand?
A The sufferings of Christ – The glory that should follow (1:11)
Q#9 Under what should ye humble yourselves?
A The mighty hand of God (5:6)
Q#10 When should a man not be ashamed?
A If any man suffer as a Christian (4:16)
Our annual youth rally is on Saturday, April 18, 2020 at Faith Bible. The quizzing is scheduled to start at 10:30 and depending upon each team’s quizzing schedule lunch will be served at approximately 12:30. Families and friends are invited to join in for the activities of the day. The cost for the noon meal is $3.00. Please let us know one week in advance if you plan to join us for the meal.
Khakis and skirts are appropriate for this activity.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
To see a few more pictures of the 2019 Rally, CLICK HERE.